Friday, March 19, 2010

Pearl factory, Day 6

4 hotels later, day 6th (one night on plane). This morning, I had toast with butter and jam for breakfast with a cup of real coffee. One group member gave me a sachel of 3 in 1 brought from home.
At the lake,Tai-hu, it was 12 degrees C in the morning and all the Malaysians were feeling miserable. So I played my flute for them. It was acknowledged by the local tour leader, siaw hua. She said that our group was the only one with music!The willows were lovely. Could not find a better place to relax as we wait for the group to take their photos.

Can you guess why all of them have their cameras ready?



Pearls, of course!
The lady at the factory asked us to guess how many pearls before she opened one to show us. I have never realized that one oyster can be seeded to grow so many pearls. I always thought that one or two at the most. These are fresh water oysters specially grown for making pearls for the jewelery market.


Another rest stop for tea tasting on the way home.

A very large pearl worth about NZD1200 because of its gold colour.  The common ones are usually white or ivory coloured. A few are even jet black and these are very rare and the most expensive. I dare not take the risk buying one because it could be a fake, a plastic one, spray painted to separate tourists from their money!

No comments:

Post a Comment