Monday, March 29, 2010

Silk factory visit- Day 4

Today we visited a silk factory where Christine bought a pure silk duvet. It is reputed to keep her warm in winter and cool in summer. One thing is for sure. The duvet was very light; but I think that silk is over rated. I still prefer my old goose down feather duvet for the winter months in Hamilton.
This machine looked very ancient; but it is still working ok. That worker looked too well dress for regular work in a factory. I think the machine is purely for display purposes for tourists like me.
 *
 *
*
 *
*
Stretching the silk into very thin layers for making duvet. We were all invited to give a hand and it was fun!
 *



Duvets ready for sale to the tourists. 



My tour group inside the silk factory.
 *
 *



Pure silk material

A macro shot for a close up view shows how fine the silk threads really are. For centuries how silk was produced remained a well kept secret.




Pure silk bed covers, sheets and pillow cases.





Fashion models at the factory putting on a show just for us.













*

No comments:

Post a Comment